Wednesday 11 February 2015

Lesser Known Ways

I can no longer give blood and have never been prone to weird and exhausting ways of raising money for charity. I do, however, volunteer in other, far less well known ways:

NHS Berkshire Health Network  (https://www.healthnetwork-berkshire.nhs.uk/consult.ti)
This network comprises health professionals and lay folk, both of whom have volunteered some of their time into the management of the NHS.

I have contributed my views on subjects as diverse as drug and alcohol rehabilitation services for young people, Talking Therapy's overhaul, and the entry criteria for NHS funded IVF. I also took part in a focus group into the treatment and support of people with long term health conditions.

Today's email includes a request for my views on medicine wastage by the School of Pharmacology at Reading University in relation to their Pharmacologist Training Programme.

My participation in this network has also had the handy side effect of enabling me to  keep my process and governance skills fresh.

UK Biobank (http://www.ukbiobank.ac.uk/about-biobank-uk/)
I am one of the 500,00 subjects in the UK Biobank who have contributed many personal metrics and tissue samples in service to medical research. Many limit their involvement to this but I opted to do more.

I have completed numerous forms on what I've eaten in the last 24 hours and recently wore an activity monitor for a week. The project behind this monitor aims to find a more accurate way of collecting data on personal activity than can be achieved by getting volunteers to complete forms. The technology is similar to that used in your Wii hand controller.

So, if you like to be different....

No comments:

Post a Comment