Saturday 2 March 2019

Disability Shaming

The government’s own figures state that less than one percent of disability applications are fraudulent.

70,000 disability benefit recipients have been underpaid as a result of shoddy administration according to the National Audit Office, many of which will not be paid back. On average, it amounts to some £5000 each but for some it amounts to as much as £20,000. Could you afford to loose that much from your pay packet? Would you be able to cope if you lost your mobility tomorrow? Would you still be able to get to work if your mode of transport was removed? Would you still be able to do your job if you were in horrendous pain?

I know of which I speak because my spine broke just three weeks after being one of 300 people made redundant. In three steps, I went from being pain free and fit to crippled. That level of pain does not just affect you physically (I shook from it) but also mentally (my speech used to garble).

I was ‘fit for work’.

How many employers do you think were prepared to employ someone with an unstable broken spine? How many insurers prepared to cover an employer hiring such a person?

I have degree or degree level qualifications in engineering, IT, project management, life sciences and oceanography. I have experience in oil & gas, telecoms and media.

I am ‘over qualified’ for jobs in my areas of expertise yet can get jobs well below my skill set. Jobs on zero hour contracts. Jobs that don’t even cover my food bill. Just as well I’d already paid off my mortgage else I’d be living on the streets, eh?

My message to those of you condemning the disabled:

You are one pay check away from being in difficulty.

You are one moment away from losing your health.

You are one second away from being labelled work shy for reasons beyond your control.

The disabled are not the problem. Given sufficient, given the right support, they contribute.

Government administration errors cost tax payers far more.

No comments:

Post a Comment