Tuesday 28 June 2016

Brexit Passion

I have been trying to channel my anger and sadness into something more positive in the last 24 hours however I've come home to more pieces on what went wrong and futile hopes that things were different or could be overturned.
There are still folk who think I am angry at the result. NOPE. Saddened, yes. Angry, No.
So, in the hope that in explaining how I feel, it may help others channel their passion into something more positive and inspire some of you to DO something about your frustrations rather than just talk about it.....
.... And yes I do mean ALL of you, not just remain voters.....
-I am angry that it got to the point we needed to have a referendum in the first place.
- I am angry that we didn't tighten up the rather flabby (indeed, any) legal or legislative definition of the referendum. It's NOT 'advisory' if no politician would ignore the result for fear of setting the country alight if they did.
- I am angry at those of the press that have fed us misinformation about the EU for forty years, painting it as a monster to be got rid of - most human endeavours have good as well as the bad.
- I am angry that neither side presented a simple, clear, set of reasons for their position rather than indulging in hustings style mud slinging and obsfuscation. It was a DECISION vote, not an OPINION vote so an OPINION style campaign was NOT appropriate.
- I am angry that so many people on BOTH sides are sitting wondering what the hell happened, realising far too late that there were gaps in their understanding of the issues.
- I am MAD AS HELL at the self-indulgent behaviour of some of our elected representatives who have spent days since the result persuing their OWN agenda and career aspirations rather than focusing on reassuring both us and the rest of the world that this isnt the End of Days.
- I am angry that it would seem that only the House of Lords and the Bank of England thought it would be helpful to have a plan for the days ahead for BOTH possible outcomes PRIOR to Refendum Day.
- Most of all, I am ENRAGED by the hate crime surge.
So.... if you have all this passion, do you let it eat you up or do you turn into affirmative action for positive change?
I've chosen to ACT.
I have written to the Speaker of the House of Commons requesting him to remind certain MPs of their duty.
I have tried to show that it is easier than you think to find out the reality behind the smoke and mirrors - my posts on how to find out what's going on in our elected bodies and what your MP's stand is on given issues.
I have volunteered as a union rep for many years and also on a public consultation body for the NHS.
I am going to learn more about voting systems and join the Electoral Reform Society.
So, my challenge to you, for those who dare, who among you is also going to act?
There are many way of being 'political', some take time and effort, others mere minutes. Even something like arranging a litter pick is 'political'.
You know what, I'm going to offer a small prize at Christmas for the person who's done the most.
With love,
Fiona
LikeShow More Reactions
Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment