Wednesday 29 June 2016

Brexit Vytenis Andriukaitis

Comment upon Vytenis Andriukaitis' blog entry message to the UK

Hi Vytenis

Thank-you so much for your kind words. I'm glad there are still some in the Council of Ministers who can see past 'that man' and understand that my country is torn in two. For every one person who got their country back there is another who feels they just lost it.

Personally, I voted remain. 50% for economic stability at a time when Britain is still paying off the Global Recession hang-over and 50% because I remember my parent's and grand parents' stories of Europe re WW2. I understood the dream of 'Europa'. I shared concerns over political integration and other issues but saw those as resolvable without leaving.

I lost that dream.

I then see a 57% increase in hate crime within my country in the space of a week. I have flashbacks to my youth in the 1970s/80s when such scenes played out on TV just about every day. Bovver boots pounding pavements. Police baton charging. Blood.

I had hoped my country was past such things. That we understood. I hoped never to live long enough to see history repeat.

I lost that dream too.

I turn to my elected representatives to show solidarity, only to see a few locked into ideology warfare instead of pulling together to make the decisions so much needed. I am disgusted. So much so I wote to the Speaker of the House of Commons asking him to remind the house of their duty.

It's not the decision of my countrymen I mourn but the pain it has caused, particularly to the younger members who feel they have lost their future.

Fiona

No comments:

Post a Comment